Friday, November 6, 2009

Remembering Hugo

Hello Family,

This time of year always makes me reminiscent, and 2009 is particularly so with the 25th anniversary of our loss of Hugo Augustus Rossi, Jr. on November 9, 1984. Hugo is shown in the family photo in the right top corner, with his open collared shirt and a big grin - I'm guessing him to be about 14 years old (assuming the photo was taken in 1955).

Hugo was always a larger than life figure to me - literally and figuratively. He was first born, I was last and there is 12 years between us, so to me he was a big person from the beginning. He used to carry me down the stairs on his back in the morning, calling himself "Rea, The Wonder Horse," and I was "Duck" (where do we come up with these nicknames?) His heart was always huge and open, and he made me feel special whenever I saw him.

He went off to Bridgeton Academy when I was 6, and then on to BC and married Judi when I was almost 12, but ever remained such a prominent figure in my life. Everyone wanted his attention, and somehow he always made time for all of us. As his life as a husband and then father grew, so did his circle of family, friends and associates, but he never exchanged one relationship for another - he just widened his reach. And that is the most amazing and profound memory I have of Hugo; that he had a genuine connection to every person in his world, and with his gift of gab and true interest in so many people and so many subjects, that is saying something!

So Monday will be a time for us to remember Hugo and all the wisdom, compassion and laughter he brought to our lives. We are lucky to have such a close bond with Hugo's children and I always think of how proud he would be of the fine, strong, good people they have become, and how well they are raising their own children. Though his time with us was far too short, his impact has never faded. Let's think about Hugo and all of our relatives who have left us, and our good fortune to have such a wonderful family - and our very own blog to celebrate it!

With Love to All,
Amy Dolores

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy, Paul and all Rossis,

Thank you so much for your words about Hugo. So very touching to read your thoughts and feel so much love for your brother.

I remember him as a giant, laughing man! He was always telling stories with Dad and Uncle Hugo at the reunions and although I didn't know him well, his energy always drew me in.

I remember his funeral as one of the saddest experiences I had had up to that day, but the gathering afterwards was so full of love and strength that I was comforted. I imagine his children were somehow saved because of all the love surrounding them.

It is good to remember such a wonderful and loving man. Thank you both.

Love ,
Jill